Some of my blog posts include affiliate links. If you purchase an item from one of my links I may receive a commission. Please read my disclaimer for more details.
Interested in becoming a freelancer with no experience? You probably have multiple questions running through your mind. You are not alone!
What does it mean to become a freelancer with no experience?
- You are your own boss
- You find answers to your own questions
- Look for your own clients
Before we get started let me remind you to sign up for my free Bookkeeping Simplified Guide. My Bookkeeping Simplified Guide includes free access to my method on how to put your bookkeeping on a schedule.
Type of Freelance Work
- App Developer
- E-Commerce Seller
- Graphic Designer
- Health Instructor
- Social Media Manager
- Virtual Assistant
How to Prepare for Potential Clients
The very first thing I suggest before looking for freelance work with no experience is be prepared. You are probably asking what does be prepared mean? Well, before going out and approaching possible clients make sure you can provide samples of your work or recommendations provided by other clients.
Samples of your work can include written articles, created websites, products you made, pictures you took and so on.
Recommendations can be reviews given by other clients or written letters from other clients who are willing to share their experience.
- Don’t Let Your New Business Fall Short
- 9 Things I Learned in 9 Years of Being a Small Business Owner
- How to Stay Motivated While You Build Your Business
- What Does Work-Life Balance Mean to You?
- Helpful Tips to Prepare for Income Tax Season
- 3 Necessary Actions for New Small Business Bookkeeping
- How to Make Drop Shipping Work for Your E-Commerce Store
- How Tailwind Helped My New Blog
- 9 Steps to Make Before Starting a Small Business
- How to Start a WordPress Blog Using SiteGround
- How to Work from Home and Make Money
- Semi-Annual Bookkeeping Tips are Important
- How to Start a Bookkeeping Business with Confidence
- 3 Reasons Why You Need a Bookkeeper All Year
- Set Goals for the Year – It’s Not Too Late!
- How to Make an Extra $1000 a Month
- 9 Easy Ways to Gain Control of Your Finances
- The Best Summer Jobs for Students
How to Attract Clients If You Have No Work Experience
The type of freelance work you do will help to determine what marketing options you have. For instance, if you are selling products you make think about selling on Etsy or setup a website with Shopify. A social media manager will want to advertise on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and other social media platforms.
Consider creating a blog to allow potential clients to read and understand who you are and what services or products you provide. Starting a WordPress Blog Using SiteGround allowed me to reach out to you, other individuals, and business owners who I can help based on my own experiences and skills.
Other ways to reach out to potential clients are:
- Network with others in your field
- Attend business events
- Sign up for freelance platforms like Upwork
- Advertise on Google
- Run ads on Facebook and Instagram
- Create YouTube videos
- Email marketing
- Direct mail
- Advertise on Pinterest using Tailwind
Volunteer or Look for Level Entry Work
When you choose to become a freelancer with no experience it is important to set realistic goals. Do not get me wrong it is exciting to work for yourself; however, if you do not have experience as a freelancer you will likely be passed up for the higher paying freelance jobs.
In the beginning think about volunteering your work for a free review or recommendation. Look for level entry jobs that will let you bring in money while growing your profile and name within your industry.
It is rewarding to be your own boss; however, to become a freelancer with no work experience is hard work for anyone. My suggestions to you are:
- Pick your type of freelance work
- Prepare for potential clients
- Determine how you will attract clients
- Consider how you will get your first job